FREE ADMISSION. FREE PARKING IN ANY CATHEDRAL LOT
Open Tuesday – Saturday
10 a.m.-2 p.m.
and by appointment
1103 S. Calhoun St., Fort Wayne.
Feature Exhibit: Christmas Altar Pictures
Come see the Christmas beauty and creativity in the Museum’s special exhibit featuring photos of over thirty diocesan church altars decorated for this sacred season. Other Christmas-related artifacts are also on display. Exhibit runs December through January.
Encounter Christ in our diocesan heritage
Diocesan Museum is a treasure trove of religious artifacts that bring to life the Catholic faith’s awe-inspiring history, especially that of northeast Indiana. Many items are significant in telling the story of the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend, while others reference the universal history of Christ and the Catholic Church. The displays are informative, sometimes thought-provoking, even amusing. Museum artifacts include a mid-13th century handwritten bible; relics of St. Mother Teresa and St. Elizabeth Ann Seton; a collection of nun dolls; an 85-year-old statue showing the graphic wounds of a scourged Jesus.
Diocesan Museum started as a dream of Msgr. Thomas L. Durkin. When he passed away in 1977, newly-ordained Father Phillip Widmann began planning a museum in his memory. Over the next forty years, Father Widmann collected, rescued, and restored items abandoned when local churches closed. Other items were donated from people’s closets and basements. Until his death in 2021, Father Widmann oversaw the setting up of displays and wrote the information labels/notes that accompany them.
The Museum opened its doors in 1981. After several moves, it came to be housed in its current location in 2019. It has remained free and open to the public. All are welcome!
Diocesan Museum back home on Cathedral Square
Items used by early bishops on loan to Diocesan Museum
Museum highlights Church and diocesan history
Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
Located next door to the north of the Diocesan Museum in the 1100 block of South Calhoun Street. The Cathedral was built in 1859 and is especially noted for its gothic-style architecture, its Bavarian stained-glass windows, and its wood carvings. The Cathedral is open daily, 8:30a.m. to 4:30p.m. There is a daily Mass at noon.
Good Shepherd Books and Gifts
Located on the first floor of the Archbishop Noll Catholic Center, 915 S. Clinton Street (about 2 blocks from the Museum). The store includes an outstanding array of religious books, cards, statues, crucifixes, medals, rosaries, and many other religious items. Regular hours: Mon.-Fri. 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sat. 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Call for special seasonal hours.
St. Mother Theodore Guerin Chapel
Located at 1123 S. Calhoun Street, next door and south of the Cathedral. Built in 1950 and originally called the MacDougal Chapel, the circular chapel was designed for quiet prayer and reflection. The Chapel is open daily, 8:30a.m. to 4:30p.m.