Tips for Discernment Prayer
Choose a time
- Make it a definite time dedicated only to prayer, an appointment with God.
- Try to make it the best time for prayer that you can find.
Choose a Place
- It should be a place free from distractions
- It should be a private place
Enter into Prayer
- Ask for the assistance of the Holy Spirit, to teach you how to pray (talk and listen to God).
- Examine your conscience and repent of your sins
- Lay aside anxieties, problems, battles. Don’t allow them to dominate your time with God.
Recall to mind and assent to the basic truths of revelation
- God created you out of love and loves you always
- God sent Jesus to give us life
- Jesus died and rose, conquering sin and death
- Jesus promised to be with us and to send us the Holy Spirit
- Jesus intercedes for us in heaven
- Jesus is coming again in glory
- Consciously say “YES” to these truths each day.
Intercede with Faith and Trust
- For our daily bread: pray for the world, the church, your family, friends, and yourself
- For forgiveness: As you forgive others
- For strength for the day and its trials
- For discernment in your personal vocation
- For protection from all evil
Before Leaving Prayer, ask yourself
- What God has said to you; What God has shown you; What you know you should carry into the day and remember so your prayer will bear fruit.